Tuesday 15 January 2013

Sylvia



So I had every intention of going downtown today and getting a few things done.  At the crack of 8:30 I called to make sure my hair dresser Sylvia was working today since this would be one of the main reasons for putting on pants today.  My heart sank to her it was her day off.  Fuck!  The other woman in the shop who sports mall bangs, an oozing cold sore and specializes in shaving dudes necks is not someone I can trust to do a proper razor cut to my delicate, thinning, boyishly handsome lesbian hair.  That’s what Sylvia has mastered in the last year of our relationship.  (That and I feel bad for her.  She is named after one of the worst songs ever.  Sylvia’s mother.  I’m not named for Help me Rhonda but my song is catchy and most likely about some surfer whore named Rhonda blowing a beach boy to help him forget his past love.  Sylvia’s mother...ug.  Here is a link if you want to be depressed and confused.)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc6EWYws_X4

It’s kind of sad that my day has hinged on a woman in her mid 40’s who is going to make my lesbian surfer hair into a sensible lesbian cut again.  I do kind of feel that now when I pop into work I need to look semi professional to be hired back again.  I don’t believe one hair cut can erase almost 3 years of short pants, desk toys and running shoes, but it can’t hurt right?  Now tomorrow will be a full day of running around before dinner with a friend.  Today has thus far consisted of scrubbing the shower and tub, exfoliating, a peel off nose mask and job searching.  I needed a big of a blog break.

I also just took a chance and signed up for an online employment course.  It’s been a while since I’ve taken a course, I used to enjoy a good night school course and took some in project management, creative writing and Health and Safety.  It’s been a few years since my learning involved more then meditation and self improvement.  I’m guessing my home work won’t ask me to look back on my childhood and figure out why my relationships with others aren’t the best.  I’m sure I could figure out a way to make it about me in a professional employment related way.  I feel like I have found where I want to work and how I want to spend the middle part of my work life as I slowly begin approaching my middle years.

I was talking to a former co-worker the other day who is about my age.  We talked about finding “that job” for this part of our lives.  We don’t want and are not having kids and don’t have any dependents so what we plan on doing from now on is for us.  Talking to someone in the same place, same past employers and with the same goals was refreshing.  We both want to work somewhere doing something that not only makes a difference but is where we want to be.  Maybe that’s why I miss my job so much.  The work, the clients and most of all the co-workers that got me.  I even miss a few of the co-workers who didn’t get me.  (I’m a hard nut to get sometimes.)

I also got a sign yesterday while out shopping that I need to think about checking another thing off my bucket list.  See photo.  


Yes, I bought this game for 2 dollars! 
Today I got a sign from a comedian I used to love about an improv night in Toronto.  This is my perfect storm.  Toronto, no distraction and my chance to do comedy.  I’m going to look into it.

“Feet on ground, heart in hand, looking forward, be yourself.”

No comments: