Sunday 6 January 2013

Tuned Out



So today I went with a good friend and her almost 3 year old to the Children’s Museum.  I have to say that on a Sunday it’s almost dead and we could really enjoy watching her daughter play and interact with her without 500 snotty little kids trying to steal toys away or pushing her out of the way.  Anyway, in the City part where the kids can do little jobs, ride little scooters, climb and role play there was a mom there with I think two kids sitting on a bench reading.  Um, I get that its really safe and you don’t have to be on them the entire time they play but really?  Busting out a book while your kids play out in public with other kids around?  Later when we were playing in the sand she walked by with the book.  50 Shades of Grey.  Nice.

Now, I get that I’m not a parent who is with a kid or kids 24/7 but maybe try and look interested while they play and ask to show you something.  I used to spend a lot of time with kids and the one thing that was said to me by a friend a few years ago was “You are very present with him every time you are together.”  It’s true.  In my defense I was there to see kids and spend time with them without the worry of laundry, cleaning the house, dinner and if homework was done.  I got to just enjoy spending time with the kids and getting to know them on a great Buddy level.  It helped me build a great bond with those kids. 

I’ve noticed for a while now how tuned out parents can be.  I do take the bus and see a lot of parents either texting the entire time, listening to music or on the phone not paying any attention to kids.  This would be a perfect time to talk to your kid about school or whatever.  I’ve seen this dad for a few years on the bus and at work.  While he catches the bus with his daughter who is about 10 they talk and almost always read together.  Sometimes she asks questions about the crazy people downtown.  Her Dad always gives her an honest answer like “Honey, that girl is on drugs.  She’s not in a good place.  That’s why she’s screaming and fighting.”  I have to say he’s one of the most present parents I have ever seen in my life. 

The other day I saw this post on Facebook that made me laugh.  I will attach. 

Now how many times have you been out with someone, anyone really and they are either on their phone or checking their phone the entire time.  Or checking their facebook the entire time and commenting on what is going on.  I used to really hate this but now it’s kind of one of those things that if the other person is doing it then I do it.  I kind of hate that about myself.  Then there is the joy of taking pictures of our food even before we taste or enjoy it.  I happen to not mind this.  I love to see what people eat when they go out and since I don’t really go out to eat it’s me living on the edge.  I have a friend who I worked with years ago.  She lives the exciting life of a single girl with a great job in Toronto who goes out to events and dinners in amazing restaurants.  I love her pictures.  She and her brother and the biggest food people I know.  When they went to Spain this year 3 of her food pictures from a market were my backdrops at work on my computer.  I will share one.  The beauty of the all the fruit makes me have a food boner.  



The last three women I have dated have kids.  So I get checking the phone when we are out or together but for the rest of us.  Really?  Do we need to know what’s going on with our friend from College this weekend or who made a killer roast?  Maybe, but not so much when we should really be giving some attention to what we are doing and who we are with.  

 Let’s try and enjoy the ride before we upload where we have been.

No comments: